I have been enjoying all the lovely 2012 round-up blog posts! I am nowhere near as productive as some others, but I am pretty pleased with what I have accomplished last year.
In terms of actual sewing, I:
- Signed up for Susan Khalje’s The Couture Dress course on Craftsy. Which led to 3 muslins (but no finished goodness yet). Fitting the pattern that came with the course gave me fits, but I think things are progressing now. The final fabric is cut out and I’m in the midst of attaching the underlining. And, it didn’t help that I lost the originally altered sleeve pattern. Boy am I glad I took those progress photos.
- Used MeToo to make a clingwrap sloper. The measurements from this sloper are coming in very handy.
- Signed up for Kenneth King’s Jean-ius course on Craftsty. I’m up to the draft stage of this course. Very straightforward. And since I already waxed poetical about it, I’ll just link here.
- Worked on the bodice of Gertie’s bombshell dress. I wound up drafting my own bra cups to accommodate my, um, generous proportions. Too bad I forgot about re-sizing the attached bodice pieces at the same time. So I moved on to something else. I really want to make a vintage style swimsuit with the bombshell dress pattern. I’ll revisit it come summer.
- Graded a pattern. I graded up Vogue 9560 to get a skirt that fit me. This was the first pattern I graded up. I’m not sure I love how much time it took to grade the skirt, but I learned a lot in the process.
- Sewed my first knit dress. I morphed McCall’s 6163 and wore it to an early fall wedding. I love the dress! But I didn’t count on the extra-stretchiness of the 4-way stretch I bought. I’m going to disassemble the dress and re-cut it to fix the stretch floppiness.
- I signed up for Fit the Tee to a T on PatternReview. I also ordered the most expensive pattern I’ve ever bought; J.Sterns Designs The Tee pattern. I made pattern adjustments for my size last weekend.
- And, I made my first art quilt. Actually, my 1st quilted item at all. Using thread to draw on fabric and then coloring it was a fun process.
- Oh, yes, and I made pattern alterations on a few other items. Hopefully I’ll get to blog about them at some point.
On the life front, I:
- Kept the children healthy and clothed this year :).
- Have made fits and starts with my eating changes. I haven’t gained any weight, but I’m not sure if I lost any either. I think I’m ok with that.
- Painted a belt and boots. The boots started to flake at the moveable parts, so I re-painted the boots…
- My 2.5 year quest to finish the StitchDiva endless broomstick cardi-shawl is almost at an end. Good heavens, 2.5 years!
- I’ve worked on my mom’s estate. I haven’t written about it on the blog, but my mom had an almost compulsive collecting habit. This has made for a huge stash of – well – everything. At 15 months after my mom’s passing, I’m ok-ish with getting rid of the truckloads of stuff.
- And The Little Miss and I started taking bellydance classes. My mom talked about it a few times before she passed away and I’d been toying with taking swing dance lessons. After hemming and hawing about the swing dance classes, I decided on bellydance and I’m glad I did. It’s fun and makes me think I’m slightly more coordinated than I previously thought :).
And finish my couture dress!